Applying for a Canadian student visa after a long break in education, whether it’s 5, 10, or even 25 years, is possible but comes with challenges.



Most universities in Canada accept a gap of two years for undergraduate courses and five years for postgraduate courses. However, if you have a longer gap, you’ll need to justify it.



Let’s explore the challenges of applying for a Canadian university admission and student visa after a gap of 5–25 years and find possible solutions.



Here are common reasons for educational breaks and how to address them:


1. Medical Reasons (Health Issues and Treatments):

Many people pause their studies to address significant medical issues they face. For example, someone who has been diagnosed with cancer may need to put off their studies for many years until they have completed treatment.


Such individuals may be unable to travel abroad due to their condition and because treatment is more affordable in their home country.



Medical issues tend to be unavoidable, so they are considered a legitimate reason for a study gap. Once their health has returned to normal and they are fit to live abroad, such individuals can apply for an admission or study visa.



2. Family Responsibilities:

Some may also halt their studies for family reasons. It’s not uncommon for people to be forced to put their academic pursuits on hold to take care of aging family members. This can be a common reason in cultures where retirement homes are uncommon.



3. Relationship Issues:

Other family reasons include marriage breakups and the legal issues they entail. Some family reasons may not be considered significant enough to count as legitimate reasons to halt your studies. You will, therefore, need to specify how exactly the event disrupted your studies during your admission or study visa application.



4. Preparation for Competitive Exams/Language Tests:


Certain people may dream of pursuing higher education in Canada but may be unable to do so due to external tests. For example, you might have been interested in applying for admission or study permit in the past but scored poorly on your English language proficiency exam.



IRCC generally requires applicants to possess a minimum score of 6.0 on their IELTS to apply for a Canadian undergraduate or diploma program study permit. Applicants who scored below this requirement may have chosen to submit their application later once they have improved their language proficiency score.



In other cases, applicants may have delayed applying for admission or a student visa to take other educational tests. For example, they may have chosen to write their SAT, LSAT, or MDCAT after completing their high school education.


Such tests require many months or even years to prepare for. For these reasons, external tests may be considered a legitimate reason for a study gap.


5. Poor Financial Conditions:

One of the most common reasons for a study gap is a poor financial situation. Many people dream of pursuing higher education in Canada but might not possess the funds to start and complete an education program.



It’s not uncommon for the tuition fees for educational programs at Canadian Universities to exceed CAD 30,000 per year. Prospective international students must demonstrate on their study permit application that they can cover this amount plus their living expenses. Those who fail to demonstrate they possess enough funds will likely be rejected.



For this reason, many prospective international students choose to work in their home country after completing high school. They then pursue higher education in Canada after saving enough funds many years later.


6. Career Development (Work Certifications/Courses):



Some students may put off their education abroad until they gain work experience. This reason is valid because many graduate programs in Canada require students to possess a certain amount of work experience to be eligible for the program.



For example, prospective MBA students typically require two years of work experience to be eligible for a graduate-level program in Canada. Other types of degrees may have even longer work experience requirements for applicants.


How much study gap is accepted in Canada after 5 to 25 years of High School



You might wonder if a study gap is acceptable in Canada after the 5 to 25 years of high school. This gap is considered quite long. However, it may be acceptable if explained using a legitimate reason. It’s essential to ensure that the reasons for the study gap are genuine and valid, as Canadian universities and visa officers may require documentation justifying it.


Justify a Study Gap on a Canada Admission and Student Visa Application



There are many ways to address a study gap on a Canadian student visa or university admission application. This includes:


Choosing the Right Field of Study:


Prospective admission and study permit applications should ensure they choose the right field of study for their education in Canada. For example, if you have studied science in high school primarily, it is best to pursue a science-oriented degree or diploma in Canada.



It is vital to ensure your upcoming field of study aligns with your previous one as it demonstrates that you intend to continue building on your current educational history. Applicants who are pursuing a new field of study with no prior education or work history that aligns with it are likely to be rejected.



Providing a Good Explanation in Your Cover Letter:


The most important method for addressing a study gap is to state the reason for the gap in the cover letter accompanying your application.



This cover letter is essentially a letter of explanation that describes your educational and professional history. It should also include your reason for coming to Canada and a declaration that you intend to leave after completing your studies. You can also use this cover letter to explain your study gap.



For example, you can state what you studied in high school and that you could not pursue higher education in Canada because you did not have enough funds. You can then discuss where you worked and how you managed to build up enough savings to attend a Canadian College or University finally.



Will my student visa be approved if I have a long gap?


There is no guarantee that your student visa application will be approved if you have a long study gap. As mentioned earlier, IRCC can be incredibly strict about approving applications from prospective international students.



Visa officers will look for any potential red flags that indicate you aren’t being truthful about your intention to study in Canada and that you might use the study permit to enter and stay there. You can attempt to present a good case for yourself by including a detailed account of your history and reasons for coming to Canada.


What should I do before applying for admission or a study visa with a longer study gap?


Research: Check the specific requirements of the colleges or universities you’re interested in.


Documentation: Gather relevant documents (such as work experience certificates, exam results, and gap-year activities) to support your application.


Transparency: Be transparent about your study gap in your application and provide a clear explanation.



If you’re unsure about how to address your study gap or navigate the admission application process, consider seeking assistance from immigration consultants or advisors who specialize in Canadian visa applications.


To learn more about Canadian admission and study visas feel free to reach out to us at +2348165165009 or +14034376814 Or visit our website by clicking on the link below



P. S. — You can join our community on Telegram, where you get the latest immigration updates, interact with our team and other prospective immigrants, and get access to exclusive resources and materials to help with your immigration journey.

Kindly click on the button below to join the community.

Kisha Immigration is a licensed Canadian immigration company

Take a Free Assessment for Canada Immigration
Useful Links

The information on this site is of a general nature and is not intended as legal advice

Copyright 2023. All Right Reserved.
Go To Top

Request a Call Back